Wednesday 15 June 2011

Spiced beef stir-fry

When I found out that my best friend and his girlfriend wanted to pop round to say hello and properly introduce themselves to Amy, I knew instantly that I wanted to cook them something different and tasty. But I wanted to impress, as my friend Neal, is just as passionate about food as I am. I love my Chinese cooking so I went to my go-to Chinese cook book called "Chinese food made easy", by Ching-He Huang, which funny enough was introduced to me by Neal. There I found the following dish: spiced beef stir-fry topped with spring onions and coriander. The meal turned out to be so successful that I cooked it for my family over the weekend and it has even made it onto my weekly menu. I personally think that if you are a fan of Asian cooking then you will love this recipe.

What you need for two people
400g fillet of beef
2 tbs of groundnut oil
1 tsp of shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry
1 tbs light soy sauce
1 generous pinch of sea salt
1 large handful of fresh coriander, leaves and stalks, roughly chopped
1 spring onion, finely chopped

For the spicy coating
2 tbs ground cumin
2 tbs dried chilli flakes
1 tsp ground black pepper
half a tsp of sea salt

What to do
Prepare the fillet of beef by covering it with cling film and hammering it with a rolling pin. Then slice into wafer thin slices and put into a mixing bowl. Then mix all the ingredients for the spicy coating together. Now you have to get your hands messy. Mix the beef with the spice mixture making sure you cover all the beef with the mixture and leave for half an hour. Now heat a wok or pan over a high heat and add the groundnut oil. Add the beef and stir-fry for less then 1 minute until browned and tender. As the beef starts to cook, add the rice wine or sherry and season with the soy sauce and salt. Take off the heat, stir in the coriander and spring onion, garnish with coriander and serve immediatly.


I serve this meal with my special Just Mad fried rice, but any type of rice would suit this dish and you can also try filling pancakes and tortilla wrap with your beef mix.

Happy cooking and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment